Thursday, May 11, 2006

I'M GOING TO SAVE THE WORLD, MAYBE

I truly believe that I can save the world or at least the world that revolves around me. Once you become part of my world, you're there for life and I'm going to want to help you. If there's a problem, I'm going to try to fix it or come up with the solution.
It's part of the reason that I do the job that I do (working with families with kids with autism). I'm going to do everything in my power to help, to make things better for you. It's what makes me good at what I do. I truly care.
Unfortunately, it's also the part of myself that takes the good and the bad home with me at night. I have a lot of trouble knowing that I can't save everybody. I know that just the little bit I can do helps but I want to do more and sometimes, you can't. I want to save everyone and make life better for everyone.
Working with kids with autism, you learn that it's the little steps that count. It helps you find the little accomplishments. The part of you, that is so thrilled because you were only scratcbed three times in an hour, where earlier that month you would have scratched every three minutes for the whole hour. I can become so excited about the tiniest accomplishments that the kids make.
So why can't I be excited about the tiniest differences that I make for these kids and families. Why? Because I want to do more. I can't settle for not doing all that I can do. I can't settle for just doing what I can do, there's got to be more that can be done.
I know that you are supposed to leave work at work, not to bring it home with you. But everyday, my work comes home with me. I think about the kids and the families that I work with while lying on the sofa watching television. In some of the time before I fall asleep I'm going to think about what I can do tomorrow to make things better, to help one person. It's the part that makes me thrilled and excited to be at my job and it's the part of me that makes me cry with the realization that, maybe, it's all I can do!

2 Comments:

At 12:12 PM , Blogger Blue944 said...

It is hard work being selfless...and luckily there are people in the world like you who do it.

Bravo!

 
At 7:04 PM , Blogger Kris said...

Cosmo-

I have worked with children for several years, and recently worked for a group home for troubled teenage girls. I learned that some kids wanted saving and others didn't. Sometimes even getting them to follow a normal routine and sit for a meal was a huge accomplishment. People who work in these types of fields like you do, do so much with so little room for reward or recognition. Unfortunately, if you care, you can't but help to take your work home with you. The losses hurt, and you always feel like there is something more you could have done. I myself live with that everyday since I lost one of "my kids" this summer in a car accident.

Keep plugging away and keep your head up, because you are making a difference. There is a saying that goes, "Plant trees in a world, in which you do not expect to enjoy the shade" Keep planting those trees!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home