Saturday, July 26, 2008

LIFE JUST ISN'T FAIR SOMETIMES

I promise to post very soon about what's going on in the job front, I just feel kind of bad being excited about that when a horrible thing has happened this week. A previous student of mine, who happens to be the son of a friend of mine, passed away this week. Christopher was twelve years old and had cerebral palsey. I had him when he was eight and he was pretty bad off then, in a wheelchair, feeding tube, non-verbal, etc. He ended up getting so bad and difficult to take care of that his mother, who is divorced from his father and hurt her back, had to give him custody because she just couldn't lift him anymore and do the physical aspect of Christopher's care. By this time, he was on oxygen. This weekend, Christopher had what the doctors think, to be a stroke and a heart attack. AT TWELVE!!! The was clinically dead for about 20 minutes before they could get him back. His kidneys shut down and he just wasn't doing all that well. All the family could do was bring him home and wait for his little body to give up his fight. Tuesday night his little body just finally gave in. Today is the viewing/funeral service.
This isn't the first student I've lost, it's been a previous student passes on every year for the past five years. It just doesn't seem fair that children that young have to fight so hard for everything. Fight to communicate, fight to move, fight to breathe, fight to live. Most of the time it makes me feel lucky for all I have, today I just feel sad for his parents and all the parents out there who fight with their children, sad for me and very jaded.



Rest in peace Christopher. I hope your up their running around, eating all the food you used to turn your head towards the smell of and just playing and having fun. You're so going to be missed down here!!!

2 Comments:

At 10:32 AM , Blogger Eebie said...

Wow! I hope you are doing OK.

 
At 1:36 AM , Blogger Kris said...

I am sorry for your loss and Christopher's family. It is so tough to see a child die so young, and for someone who has spent his life fighting for survival.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home